The City of Turlock contracts with Turlock Scavenger for the collection and disposal of solid waste. Turlock Scavenger introduced automated waste hauling to our city and pioneered the three cart collection system. The residential three cart system, which includes a blue cart for commingled (non-sorted) recyclables, and a green cart for organic and garden material, has assisted our efforts to comply with State of California mandates to reduce the amount of solid waste that is buried of in landfills.
All calls regarding garbage service should be made directly to the Turlock Scavenger Company at (209) 668-7274.
What to put in the blue bin
- Cardboard & Paper
- Cans (rinsed clean)
- Glass (rinsed clean)
- Plastic Bottles & Jugs
- Clean recyclables only. Materials contaminated with food cannot be recycled.
- Don't place plastic grocery bags in the blue cart
What to put in the green bin
- Lawn Trimmings
- Food Waste
- Garden Prunings
- Tree Prunings
- Scrap Lumber (no more than 24 inches long)
Apartments \ Multifamily units
Commercial \ BusinessMANDATORY COMMERCIAL (BUSINESS) AND MULTI-FAMILY RECYCLING
State Recycling Requirements for Businesses and Multi-Family Communities
In July of 2012, the State of California enacted AB 341, a mandatory commercial recycling provision affecting businesses and multi-family communities.
WHO MUST RECYCLE
California State law requires the following businesses to have a recycling program in place:
- Any business that generates 4 cubic yards or more of waste per week
- Multi-family communities with five or more units
HOW TO ARRANGE FOR RECYCLING SERVICES
Businesses and multi-family residential complexes that meet the threshold are required to place co-mingled recyclable materials in the bins or containers provided by Turlock Scavenger Company. If you do not have a recycling program in place, you may contact Turlock Scavenger to sign-up for recycling services at (209) 668-7274.
If you already receive recycling bin or cart service through Turlock Scavenger and Recycling Company, the only requirement necessary is to fill out the recycling questionnaire and send it to The City of Turlock Municipal Services Department at 156 S. Broadway, Ste. 270, Turlock Ca 95380.
INFORMATION FOR APARTMENT OWNERS-MANAGERS
It is important that both apartment managers and tenants understand the requirements to recycle, which materials can be recycled and where to place them for collection.
- State law requires multi-family communities with 5 or more units to recycle.
- State law requires apartment owners to offer recycling services, and residents are required by law to recycle.
- Materials are available to assist in educating tenants about proper procedures for recycling. See the quick links box on this page for links to educational materials and publications.
- Consider placing information in areas such as laundry rooms or at garbage collection locations.
- Consider providing information to new tenants when the lease is signed and annually to all other tenants.
- Consider including recycling requirements in tenant leases.
- Information about multi-family recycling is also available from the California Apartment Association at www.caanet.org/caarecycling.
*The City of Turlock has individual collection totes available to Multi-Family Residential Units for free, provided upon request. To take advantage of this service, contact the Municipal Services Department at 209-668-5590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request totes (maximum provided up to the amount of total units at your location). This program is based on a first-come first-served basis and the City has limited inventory.
Composting \ OrganicsMANDATORY COMMERCIAL (BUSINESS) ORGANICS RECYCLING
California's Mandatory Commercial Organics Recycling Law, AB 1826, requires certain businesses to arrange for organic waste recycling services. Commercial businesses that generate 4 cubic yards of organic waste, and multi-family residences with 5 units or more, are required to arrange for organic waste recycling services.
WHAT IS ORGANIC WASTE?
Organic waste as defined in the law includes the following material: food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, nonhazardous wood waste, and food-soiled paper waste that is mixed in with food waste.
Multifamily Residential Dwellings- A multifamily dwelling that consists of five or more units are required to recycle their green (yard) waste, but are not required to separate for recycling food waste, including food-soiled paper.
HOW TO ARRANGE FOR ORGANIC RECYCLING SERVICES
Businesses and multi-family residential complexes that meet the threshold are required to place organic materials in the bins or containers provided by Turlock Scavenger Company. If you do not have an organics recycling program in place, you may contact Turlock Scavenger to sign-up for services at (209) 668-7274.
If you already receive organic bin or (green) cart service through Turlock Scavenger and Recycling Company, the only requirement necessary is to fill out the organics recycling questionnaire (see the "organics questionnaire" link in the quick links box on this page) and send it to The City of Turlock Municipal Services Department at 156 S. Broadway, Ste. 270, Turlock Ca 95380.